Due to safety concerns regarding the COVID-19 global pandemic, VegFund advises against large in-person gatherings at this time. Applicants requesting funds for in-person gatherings must provide information about local COVID guidelines in your area.
Documentaries and movies are powerful tools for social change. VegFund screening grants can cover screening licenses and event-related costs of screenings such as venue rental, literature, and vegan food samples. Great documentaries engage the viewer emotionally through skillful storytelling about real lives and events while often revealing information that is obscured from the public eye. Imaginative and entertaining filmmaking effectively stirs the emotions of viewers.
- Be sure to read the Grant Guidelines that apply to all grants. You’ll find additional information on our FAQ page.
- Select the film. Most films require you to pay a license fee to screen the film for more than just one person. VegFund can fund up to $250 towards licensing fees and will reimburse you after the film has been screened. See VegFund’s list of recommended films for screening events.
- Determine the venue. You know your community, so you are in the best position to determine the type of venue to suit your needs. Many activists screen films in local schools, churches, or libraries, which typically don’t charge hefty rental fees. You can also consider renting a public movie theatre — in some cases, with VegFund’s help.
- What will your event look like? Consider offering an introduction to the film, holding a Q&A session, or serving vegan food samples to your guests. Films are an entertaining and natural way to engage audiences, so use the screening as an opportunity to make stronger connections to film-goers.
- Consider including educational literature. Check out VegFund’s Recommended literature for guidance.
- Make a budget. Your budget should include all costs related to the event, including the cost of the venue, the film’s license, and any promotions.
- Measure your success. Consider ahead of time how you will measure the effectiveness of your event. VegFund will ask for this information in your final report.
- Order the film. Many filmmakers will send you a DVD or Blu-ray; others will send you a link to a download or streaming site. Make sure you know what format your venue requires, have the film in-hand, and test it well in advance of your event. Distributors of DVDs may require at least 14 days advance notice to get a copy of a film to you.
- Promote your event, as appropriate, through email, newsletters, social media, local TV, newspapers, and event websites. Check out Tips for event promotion for further guidance.
- Review VegFund’s reporting requirements. See “Reporting Guidelines” on the Grant Guidelines page.
- Grant payment. The majority of our grants are disbursed as reimbursements after the project or event takes place. For details, see the Payment Guidelines section under Grant Guidelines.
Vegan activists from the Italian organization Essere Animali hosted a highly successful tour of the new feature-length documentary film, The Last Pig in October 2017. Allison Argo (the filmmaker) and Bob Comis (the protagonist) joined the Italian activists on the tour, igniting discussions across Italy and helping the film gain nationwide visibility.
This simple checklist will help you to ensure you've got everything covered for your film-screening event!
Encourage members of the public to sign up for VegFund updates!
Recommended Veg Pledges, Challenges, and Starter Kits
When someone expresses interest in taking the next step, it's important to have a call to action ready
Recommended Films for Screening
Based on VegFund’s grantees’ popular go-to vegan film choices and the latest trends within the mainstream media, here is a selection of recommended vegan documentaries and films to show in your communities this year.
A discussion or Q&A session following a film screening can be a valuable addition to your event. Check out our discussion guide for more information and tips.
Share your event feedback with us via this brief survey!