11:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The 2018 film Dominion (dominionmovement.com) won several awards for its exposé of customary animal management practices pertaining to six primary facets of our interaction with animals — companions, wildlife, scientific research, entertainment, clothing, and food. Utilizing high-quality drone footage and covert cameras at concentrated animal feedlot operations and within slaughterhouses, Dominion provides audiences with a perspective that has been traditionally shielded from view and inquiry, increasingly aided by “ag-gag” laws that have repeatedly been declared unconstitutional.
While the film is free to stream online, to amplify the educational impact of viewing it on a larger screen and in the company of colleagues, the Washington State Bar Association’s Animal Law Section is offering a legal x-ray into Dominion.
Complimentary vegan appetizers and drinks will be served.
The following legal issues will be examined by animal lawyer and Animal Law Section Executive Committee Member Adam P. Karp, J.D., M.S.:
- Federal, Oregon, and local statutes and regulations (including failed legislation) governing the issues depicted and discussed in Dominion
- Federal preemption/conflict doctrine threatening to invalidate state animal welfare laws
- The law of drones as it pertains to capturing images on matters of public importance (e.g., animal cruelty, public safety, environmental protection)
- The law pertaining to audiovisual interception by use of covert cameras
- Latest constitutional challenges to ag-gag laws
- Typical federal and state criminal charges and defenses involving individuals engaging in direct action/open rescue, including very recent, highly-publicized cases and the “right to rescue” defense raised by DxE
- RPCs applicable to the foregoing legal issues
11:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
CLE credits pending for 1.5 general and 0.5 ethics.
$35 for lawyers seeking CLE credit
$25 for Animal Law Section members seeking CLE credit
$0 for everyone else (e.g., students, lawyers not seeking CLE credit)
Save the date and please share.
Interested in organizing an event like this?
VegFund can help with grant support.